Friday, June 19, 2009

The Fashion Interviewer.

My friend Katie just started her own blog, The Fashion Interviewer. You can check it out here.
And for her first interview, she decided to talk to me.
Thanks, Katie!


Why did you start blogging?
I'm a really creative person in general. When I'm not acting, writing, sketching, or whipping up some disaster in the kitchen, you can usually find me with a shirt in one hand and a pair of scissors in the other. I'm perpetually cutting, dying, studding, or destroying my clothes. What I love so much about fashion is how expressive it is. It's just another way of showcasing your personality. And after addictively reading other fashion blogs for years, I just felt the urge to start my own. (Especially now that I've graduated college and have an incredibly large amount of time on my hands.) My blog's been mostly about the things that inspire me. I haven't done much in the way of cataloguing my own outfit choices, but I might start doing that a bit more.

Do you have a fashion philosophy?
Don't let trends dictate what you wear, just wear what you love. No one looks good wearing a trend that makes them feel uncomfortable, or worse, like someone other than themselves. In the latest issue of Harper's Bazaar, they listed feather detailing as "out." Well, I like feather detailing! And I'm not going to stop wearing it just because a magazine told me not to.

Can you describe your style? What are some of your trademark looks?
I'm pretty ecclectic; I dress based on my mood. But I tend to gravitate towards the rocker look. Lots of leather, lots of accessories, lots of black. A friend once called me "a rock star crossed with a ballerina." That seems pretty accurate. :) Now that it's Summer though, I'm wearing more color, more prints, and substituting creams and browns for my usual black.

Who are your favorite designers and style icons?
Right now I'm obsessed with Balmain, Alexander Wang, Christopher Kane, Gucci, Stella McCartney, Diane von Furstenberg, MKA's The Row and Elizabeth and James, and of course, Chanel. As for icons...I don't ever want to be a carbon copy of someone else. But the people I find particularly inspiring are usually the ones who break the fashion rules: Erin Wasson, Alexa Chung, Dree Hemingway, Chloe Sevigny, The Olsens, The Trainas, Edie Sedgwick, Jane Birkin, Anita Pallenberg, Marianne Faithful. And the list wouldn't be complete without Kate Moss. No matter what she wears, she looks effortless and fun.

Are there any men whose style you admire?
Johnny Depp. Like all the women I admire, he never looks like he's trying too hard. His outfits often look slighty off, but in the best possible way. Heath Ledger had a very similar quality.

What item of your wardrobe do you spend the most on?
Shoes, bags, and sunglasses. You almost always get what you pay for in quality, and nothing's worse than when those things fall apart after a few wears.

How many pairs of shoes do you own? Bags? Sunglasses?
Shoes: Around 40 pairs. I used to have more, but I needed to scale back.
Bags: About 25.
Sunglasses: 15.

What makes your closet special?
I keep things forever. I have pieces from 8 years ago that I just rediscovered and started wearing again. Fashion is cyclical, which is why I have such a hard time getting rid of anything. I also do alot of vintage and thrift store shopping, which of course can lead to amazing, one-of-a-kind finds. And I'm constantly raiding my mom's closet and jewelry chest for unique pieces I couldn't find anywhere else.

What's your dream item right now?
I just discovered this Swarovski crystal-studded leather jacket by Jaded by Knight. (I posted it on my blog.) I'm in serious lust-mode. But it's $3,700...so that won't be happening anytime soon.

Do you wear perfume?
Everyday. Right now I'm wearing Prada's Infusion d'Iris. It's light and slightly earthy. Perfect for summer.

What are your top picks for Summer?
Floral dresses. Slouchy trousers or jeans stolen from the brother or boyfriend. Slouchy blazers. (I'm sensing a trend here.) Wispy tanks. Distressed denim shorts. Straw fedoras. Brightly colored heels. Low boots. Bohemian jewelry.


Now a little about YOU...

How old are you?
22.

Do you have a job?
I'm an actress...but since all actors need a "real" job in order to survive, I have that too. I just got hired at an accessories store, and if all goes according to plan, I'll also be working as an assistant promoter for a radio station.

Besides fashion, what are your interests?
Acting and traveling are really my biggest passions.

Name 5 things you can't live without.
Friends. Coffee. Wine. Dark chocolate. Leather.

What kind of music do you listen to?
I have a really broad taste in music. I like pretty much everything except country. However, my favorite genres are indie/folk and classic rock.

What's your favorite movie? Book? TV Show?
Movie: There's so many I love, but Almost Famous has to be my favorite.
Book: The Great Gatsby (I think I've read it about 18 times)...followed closely by Franny and Zooey.
TV Show: Sex and the City will always be a favorite. But right now, I'm addicted to Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List and old episodes of Laguna Beach (I know...for shame!) I'll also watch ANYTHING on the Food Network.

If you could be anyone from the past, who would you be?
Zelda Fitzgerald or Edie Segwick...minus the mental breakdowns.

1 comment:

Jager Weatherby said...

You're welcome!! Love you.